Thursday, December 9, 2010

A Bittersweet Week

Last Thursday we found out that my husband's ex-wife lost her battle with cancer. This was a very hard blow for my step-kids, my step-son in particular. I cannot even imagine how difficult it would be to lose one of my parents at 23 years old. My husband, however, does know how it feels. Marshall lost his mom when he was only 19. I am very proud of my husband, and my step-son, as they both did, what I consider to be, the best job possible handling this death.

Pam (Marshall's ex) was diagnosed with breast cancer about 4 years ago, and underwent a double mastectomy 3 1/2 years ago. I learned today, from my oncologist here in Georgia (who was also Pam's doctor for the last year or so) that Pam never really made it into remission. Once they battled the breast cancer, it spread into her bones, and then later into her abdomin. There is a lot I could say about Pam, but what I will say is that I am so sorry she lost her battle and fight with cancer. She really was a character, and kept us all on our toes. She was taken way too early in her life. She was only 46 years old.

The bittersweetness of this week is that I found out that I am still in remission. Sunday night, after returning from Pam's funeral, I had to begin my prep for a CT scan on Monday morning. Considering that I have seen the alternative, I told my self I would drink my barium and not complain. Well, I really tried to complain less. And Monday morning, I drank the second bottle, and bit my tongue.

I am living proof that miracles happen, that it truly is mind over matter, that doctors do not call all of the shots, and that God is in control if we just surrender our cares unto Him.

I want to take this moment to say thank you again to all who have been a part of my journey from the beginning, those who joined me in the thick of it all, and those who are still beside me. Let us all pray that while my battle is won, the war is still unknown. Also, please say a prayer for those who have not been as lucky in their fight, and for the loved ones they have left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog, and showing your support!